Thursday

The River and Hills

I have a budding author in my midst. This child just decided one day to write a story & has even researched the era and area. Budding Harlequin author? Western? Time will tell as only a couple of pages have been written so far.

Said child who will now be referred to as J.K. Howling has hijacked asked me to share what has been written so far. (I think this is a future blogger) This is the unedited version, by the way. And, I must admit, it has a "graphic" fight scene. As the mother of J.K. Howling, I had to demand a couple of revisions. I'm thinking you might be able to figure out what they were as you read.

The River and Hills
ROBERT GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!’’ My mama yelled like a dog that got his tail slammed in the door. I got out of my ratty ole bed and dusted off my pants and put on my cowboy hat. I knew it would be a scolding hot day because its always a hot day in Phoenix Arizona and the mosquitoes are going to bite cause its close to the Gila River. I jumped downstairs and went to the table I smelled and saw bacon and eggs which we don’t get that much cause pa sells a bunch of chicken’s and pigs lately for some extra cash so it was a surprise. “Robert we need the extra cash.’’ My mama was saying beating around the bush. “Just get to the point’’ I yelled!

“We need you to be a miner and we will give you half the money plus we are tired of you running around with the rifle shooting the Apache making them mad and giving us heck.’’ My mama explained. “Okay.’’ I mumbled. The truth was that mining was a dangerous job with the Apache raiding the mines and the tunnel begins collapsing, plus I would rather join Colonel Jones and the militia driving the Indians back south of Gila River to Yuma so it wouldn’t be our problem plus he gives rifles, shotguns and some Indian junk plus you got money when you join which is way more than what a miner makes but I guess mama doesn’t want me to die, dang it. “MA I’m going to the ranch!’’ I hollered.

The ranch was a fun pace to work I loved playing with the cows and racing horses Thunder was my favorite ,today I went down to the bar to get a gallon of ale for pa cause now he sells ale too. I went inside and I found the most beautiful girl on the earth Elisabeth with her beautiful silk blond hair and her swan like body she was very flexible and she just came down from heaven. But there was Colonel Jones drunk as drunk can be. “Say son want to join militia?’’ Jones asked. I didn’t want to go behind my parents back but he also pays good money and I could do both plus I couldn’t pass an opportunity like this so I generally replied ‘’Why yes I would.’’ Then I got the ale got on Thunder and made her gallop straight to the ranch just in cause he changed his drunk mind. After a couple of more hours I retired to bed tomorrow will be a miner’s day.

I woke up in the evening with a smile on my face because I get to work in the mine I thought sarcastically. “Mama, don’t fret when I die.’’ I joked as I walked out the port with a piece of toast in my hand. “Don’t joke like that.” Mama hollered but who cares. I was walking to George Town mine Smitty my friend is working there too. I arrived I grabbed a pix axe and a helmet Smitty already showed up. “Nice to see you Rob!’’ Smitty hollered. That’s just like Smitty being loud and obnoxious. “Nice to see you too.” I replied. “So did you here the news?’’ Smitty asked. “No I guess I didn’t.” I replied as I knocked out a couple of diamonds. “The Apache are raiding the mines for their good.” He looked terrified when he told me. “Hey Mr. Arrow what’s this?” I asked. “That’s a ruby”, he said, “and it’s very valuable I say 200 bucks.” “What’s going on up their!” Mr. Arrow hollered at the top off his lungs. Swish Swish Swish there was three arrows lodged in Mr. Arrow’s body he drooped dead. “Smitty watch out!” I hollered. An Apache Indian was right there with a blood stained tomahawk sling Smitty was on the floor with a huge hole in his neck. I pulled out the tomahawk and ran. If it worked the Apache will follow me to Gila River where a black bear will hopefully be snacking on some berries. I ran to river side there was Elisabeth washing cloths “Hit the deck!” I hollered. Swish Elisabeth was hit in the hand. I turned around there was a huge Indian. “Come and get me.” I spoke calmly.

“You will make a nice prize.’’ The Indian hollered. I heard a rustle there was a baby black bear cub. The Indian swung his tomahawk Slash this big Black bear showed up and slashed the Indian dead with two blows. I swung the tomahawk in the bear’s leg. I was about to go for the other leg but Elisabeth stopped me by saying “Let her go she means no harm.” By then the cub and the mother ran away. I picked up Elisabeth and set her on a rock then gentle pulled out the arrow. “AHHHHH!” She hollered. “There there.” I spoke very gentle. I plucked some of her hair and used it for stitches and carried her back to town. “Thanks Robert you’re so nice.” Elisabeth spoke so gentle and yet so sweet. I carried her back to her house. “Can I do any thing to repay you?” She asked. “Nah.” I replied. Then she went off to bed. I ran to the house as fast as I could. “Mama I have to work at another Mine!” I hollered. "No you’re going to work at the bar you keep the tips and split them in half for us.” Mama always had an answer. “Now wash up and have some supper.”

After some ham and boiled eggs I went off to bed. Shoot I forgot to go to the ranch Pa is going to kill me but who cares it was a rough day anyways.



What do you think? Can I retire soon? ;)


11 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

Ok this part....

"I went inside and I found the most beautiful girl on the earth Elisabeth with her beautiful silk blond hair and her swan like body she was very flexible and she just came down from heaven."

and this part....

"I picked up Elisabeth and set her on a rock then gentle pulled out the arrow. “AHHHHH!” She hollered. “There there.” I spoke very gentle. I plucked some of her hair and used it for stitches and carried her back to town"

These I think were my favorite parts, they made me laugh. :)

Yep I think he might have a future :)

littletoesandcheerios said...

Wow! A fight scene, romance & some good comfort food. Great author...you may retire now! Very talented.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I can't wait to read what happens next!!! Start shopping publishers now - this one's gonna be a best seller!

Melissa said...

Yep. That's your little boy! Hilarious! I would love to hear him tell it! I would bimagine it's even funnier.

Patois42 said...

Where the heck did he ever hear "swan like body" is what I'd like to know! Wow. That was really well done. I like the character's total attitude. Sounds very, um, 10-year-old boy'ish.

Stacey said...

Oh man it's got it all! I think you'll be sittin under the shade tree sippin your tea in no time, D. He's incredible...you and BS both have amazing children, not gonna lie! xo

Misty DawnS said...

WOW! Just when I think your or B/S's kids can't get any more talented, you share this with us! Seriously D... do your kids just ooze talent?!?! I love this! LOVE it. So - since we were the 'test' audience, do we all get signed copies when it's on the bestseller list???

Unknown said...

I am mad at J.K. Howling for killing Smitty. And I love Elisabeth, I like to think he based her off of me ;)

Debbie said...

Oh my. That is so great!
I have probably told you this but my middle son wants to be an author. He has written multiple chapter of a great (at least to me) fantasy book. I really need to do some research on getting kid's writing into the right hands so he can be motivated. Maybe we should look into that together:)

Jenny86753oh9 said...

He writes too?!?!? Geez....

So where are ya retiring to? ;-)

Forgetfulone said...

Yep. I think you're ready to retire!