Sunday

What Did I Ever Do to You, Mother Nature?

Even though Big D and I have been together for twenty years, I've only seen his parents a handful of times. Distance is the major factor. So when we do have a visit, we try to plan fun things to fill the void of awkward silences. This may surprise you, but my kids are shy. Until they are comfortable, they just stare and nod their heads. It's very frustrating because I need THEM to fill the voids. Sigh.

The plan was for the parents to visit this weekend. We had it all mapped out. Bear's game, lunch, and a museum. Then home for supper and a dvd. Perfect!

Mother Nature had other plans. Bear's game was rained out before the rain even started. About an hour after the parents arrived, the sky fell open and ALL the rain in heaven came pouring down.

We tried to leave for lunch only to turn around and come home because of the torrential downpour. We tried to order carryout pizza. When it was time to leave to get it, the street was flooded and the rental car well on its way to being underwater.

Did I mention that we go grocery shopping on Friday nights? Except for last Friday. After getting the house all ready, we were tired. That's how our luck is. If it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck.

We have no food to feed the hungry. And no sign of the rain letting up. And the water steadily rising. And a dog getting more & more nervous. It truly looked like a tropical storm in April. That just doesn't happen.

Not the makings of a pleasant Saturday.

When the rain finally stopped, our street cleared of water in less than 30 minutes. We have an excellent draining system here. The men decided to try and scrounge up some food. Everywhere they went, the streets were flooded and filled with abandoned cars.

I was stuck at home trying to entertain the Mother-in-law. The mother-in-law who could not get over all the rain. And decided right then that there is no way she could ever live in Houston.

Please, men, hurry home with food. My prayers were answered and they made it home safely with enough pizza to fill our empty bellies. Before the pizza could settle, the parents were outta here. They wanted to find their hotel room before dark in case they ran into any floods.

I then got a phone call that twelve rooms in our school flooded. A week before our state testing. I haven't gotten a call yet, so I'm assuming they got it all cleaned up and school will not be interrupted. These kids have had such a strange school year. We really need for school to be in session.

And today? Gorgeous, sunny, not a cloud in the sky, in-laws gone before noon.Crazy Texas weather!

10 comments:

Becky said...

You know what they say... if you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 10 minutes. My friend had a similar situation when her mother, grandmother, and sister (slightly estranged) flew down here last Sept and then got stranded in Ike and delayed 4 days. Craziness is right! Hope the school's ok!

Kim said...

I totally understand where you are coming from. Sam's camping trip with the scouts was cancelled this weekend due to the rain. But I've heard that you got it worse down there than up here in northern TX.

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's Texas for ya!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Arkansas weather to me
Auntie W

Debbie said...

Oh yes. I wouldn't really want to be rained in with my in-laws either. Although I was once, for a week at the beach. Ah, good times:)

littletoesandcheerios said...

How uncomfortable was that? To be stuck inside with the in laws...lol. My hair would fall out, hehe.Hope your weather stays nice for a long time.

Mocha Dad said...

You gotta love Texas weather.

Forgetfulone said...

Gotta love this Texas weather! Some of our rooms got flooded as well. I didn't even think about it being a week before testing, but you're right! I hope the in-laws give Texas another chance!

Misty DawnS said...

You kidding me? You've got the weather jinx too? We are SO much alike. I've been pleading with Mother Nature to tell me what I did to upset her, but she's not telling.

Sorry your weekend was ruined (((HUGS)))

Jenny86753oh9 said...

HA! That was a great post, D. Kinda reminds me of my relationship with J's folks. They just called last night to inform us they will be staying with US for 10 days in May. I LIVE IN A 1300 SQ FT HOUSE!!!!

...i may be sick.