Monday

Is That a Light I See?

It's dim, but it's there!

Big D and I are fixing to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary in December. Of those 19 years, Big D has worked nights for about 13 of them. He's had varying degrees of hours but all of them at night. When the kids were younger, it wasn't a hardship. We just had a different lifestyle.

Once I started working and Lamb went to intermediate school, it became torture for Big D. He's a family man. He'd rather spend time with us than anyone else. It kills him to only see us for 30 minutes to 1 hour a day. It bothers him to not be able to help Bear with baseball, miss his games, & not help coach. He hates not going to parent night to meet Lamb's teachers. I think. I might be lying on that one. I know it kills me having to go alone.

But all of that is about to change in the near future. Big D is training for a position that WILL be daytime hours. He's thrilled! It's darkest before the dawn however. Right now, his hours will be noon to ten for a couple of months. That means we won't see him At.All. Well, I will but the kids won't.

My life will have to be readjusted. Remember me whining about having to wake up early? I'm a tad ashamed to admit that I haven't had to do that yet. My hubby who loves me so has been waking up to take Lamb to school then going back to bed when he comes home. I know, I know, I am spoiled loved. When the new hours start, my free ride stops. We also have to readjust ortho, dentist, & doctor visits. And the t.v. But that's probably a good thing.

The biggest thing to adjust is Lamb. She now gets out of school an hour before we do. I am blessed with my friends. I have a great one (Anonymous Lisa) who picks up Lamb when she gets her son and then drops her off at my school when she picks up her other son. Score! She is so good to Lamb. One day Lamb thought she had play practice. It was canceled. So Lamb sat outside for an hour waiting until I could fetch her. I was upset that she was outside that long and because I missed a baby shower of my ex partner-in-crime. Lisa made it clear that Lamb should call her next time it happened. She didn't mind going back for her. It is such a weight off my mind to know I have people I can count on to help us out.

Of course, the biggest thrill for me? (besides having Big D at home with us) Baseball practice. Big D should be home in time. Woot! Come on daytime hours! We've missed you!

10 comments:

Debbie said...

I'm happy for you. It will take some adjustment but life will be better - I am sure.

Becky said...

I can't wait for your tunnel to be over! What an amazing relationship the 2 of you must have. Good for all of you!!! :)

Melissa said...

Yeah! I understand your pain, and now that I'm "in the light" I bask in it daily and thankfully that those nights are OVER! Your day is coming soon!

littletoesandcheerios said...

That is such good news for you and your kids!! I'm so happy for you.

I know with Andy having his own business it gets hard some weeks when he's gone a lot. Madi went to the back door and cried for him today. So heartbreaking.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Answered prayers!! I'm SOOOOO happy for ya'll! Hang in there - it's getting closer and closer!

Forgetfulone said...

Ah! The light at the end of the tunnel. Yay!

Maggie said...

Wow, that is SO awesome, D!! I don't know how you've done it this long. I am so dependent of my husband and I make him go to all the school meetings and other kid functions. LOL I'm like you, I hate going alone to meet teachers.

Anonymous said...

Oh D, I'm more than happy to help out! Lord knows you've helped me in many ways too! Thank goodness for those daytime hours on the horizon!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

YAY! That is so great. I'm glad Big D will be home at nights.

Misty DawnS said...

Oh my gosh - I am SO SO SO happy for you! That is almost the greatest news I've heard all week (I've got a secret hehehehe and no, I'm not pregnant, yeah I wish!)