Friday

Update

It might bring ya'll comfort to know that we won't be that family without water & canned goods. Whew! I feel much better now!

As it stands right now, it looks like Houston/Galveston area will get the hit. We are praying that it stays at a hurricane 2. This is my 1st experience with a hurricane and I've lived here 10 years now. The kids are ok. Bear needs a lot of reassuring, as is his nature. Our mantra has been God is bigger than the Boogey Man. And I silently pray that He has mercy on our area.

Surprisingly enough, Ty, the neurotic dog, has been ok. He paced quite a bit yesterday morning but he has calmed down. It's been Cleo, the brave cat,who has been clingy and talkative. I guess her sensors are stronger. ;)

Luckily, the centers where Big D works closed down last night and will be closed tonight. That is such a great relief to us. I was really concerned that he'd have to fight traffic going to work last night. Then get to work and the city would open the contraflow lanes (that's where all the interstates go in ONE direction & that direction would be opposite the one Big D needs to take). And, of course, I was extremely scared that he'd go in Friday night and be at work when the hurricane hits. But, now, I have peace.

My mom & younger brother are coming over later to hunker down with us. She's bringing her provisions too. They are also bringing their dog. This should be an interesting, wild ride. Pray for us. ;)

We are bracing for a long day. The media is in full hype mode. I have a feeling it's going to be a long night too. I'm sure Ty being at peace is just the calm before the storm. ;)

If interested, here is a great website to track hurricanes. It's the one we've been using.
Stormpulse.

I feel like I should be concerned about more important things. But, right now, my biggest concern is Bear. His 11th birthday is on the 18th, Thursday. We plan to have the family celebration on Sunday at an Astros game. He's going to get a message on the signboard and everything. I really want Houston to be ok for all the right reasons, but also so that Bear can still have his celebration.

He hasn't had a good birthday month. September 11th happened exactly one week before his 4th birthday. Three years ago there was the whole Hurricane Rita fiasco that messed up his birthday party as well. And now this. Like I said, I know it's not the end of the world but it's what I'm focusing on right now. Right or wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God indeed is bigger than the boogeyman! (I adore Veggie Tales) We're praying safety, peace, provision and blessings - on your family and all the others down there.

And right on to focusing on the details within your power. The Serenity Prayer is so true. "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference."

Keep your chin up and your head bowed. Can't wait to hear your faithful testimony on the other side of the storm. Blessings, Whitney

It's me said...

I don't know you but want you to know I'm rootin' for you. As my girlfriend always tells me "...it's an ADVENTURE..." as I go into full panic mode. :)

I suggest setting the kids up with a digital camera and see who can capture the best "storm footage" with a great prize for the winner. At least they'll be focused on the good of the event, rather than the fear.

Just my two cents.

Forgetfulone said...

Poor Bear. Birthday coming up and all. I spent my 40th birthday in a crummy motel room in Port Lavaca because we evacuated for Rita. It was the only time (in 43 years) that I've ever evacuated for a hurricane.

You are going to be okay. If your home is on a waterway, maybe not, but if you are inland at all, you'll see strong winds cause some damage, but hopefully not to your home. In 43 years and several hurricanes, including two cat 3's, the worst part of them has always been power outages.

That said, my husband (who has been looking for an excuse to get away for a weekend for two months) decided he didn't want to spend time without AC, so we drove to Corpus for the weekend. I'd really rather be home.

You're going to be fine. Our homes will be fine. I'm sure of it. Keeping you (and my family, who is 30 minutes north of there) in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Of course, it's right to want Bear to have a good birthday, especially since he's had several crummy ones!

I'm praying for you and your family that y'all will stay safe and that the boogeyman doesn't knock your house over!