Monday

A Day With Bear

The day started as any other. I woke up. I got myself & Bear to school. I worked with kids. Then, shortly after lunch, Bear, who was at recess, hunts me down in the Science Lab. "Here, Mama, I have a note you have to sign."


I decided to ignore the fact that it's written on the wrong side and focus on the words. I love the fact that it's his teacher who thought it was a dumb thing and not Bear. Typical boy, no? Actually, I was more worried about the shoes than the pants. I don't need another cause for stinky feet.

A little later, his co-teacher comes to me to share a story. Seems that when they were "inducting" their Social Studies folder, Bear added that he vowed to make his "sexy". Lovely. Afraid that I'd get phone calls from parents, she assured me that only his friend heard him. She did not hear him, only read his lips. And it made her day.

After school, I got another earful. What on earth could he have done now? I was told that during Math class, he was tutoring a little group. "Where is this going?" I wondered. It seems that he is sweet, encouraging, and patient. He did not belittle his classmates. He did not make them feel stupid for struggling. He came up with different ways to show them. He cheered them on when they "got" it. He helped.

I tell him all the time I just don't think I can handle him another minute. He tells me that I have to. God gave him to me because He knew I was the only one who could handle him.

It's definitely a roller coaster ride with this boy.

12 comments:

Maggie said...

LOL Too funny!! (I love the 'Dear Mother') You've got yourself a very smart kid there!! And all the other stuff is just typical boy! So cute!!

Valarie Lea said...

Yep I believe you have your hands full with that one. :)

Debbie said...

Wet clothes are not a problem around here. I only get upset when teachers won't let my kids get dirty. They are kids! Go Bear.

littletoesandcheerios said...

Hard to know what to do when their motives are so sweet.

Tales From the Eurovan said...

At least he keeps life interesting and gives you lots of material for the blog!
Take care,
Julie

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

That Bear is a gift from God for sure. But writing on the WRONG side of the paper?? I KNOW you raised him better than that! ;-)

Patois42 said...

Oh, the day in the life. From one thing to another. Amen, sister!

Forgetfulone said...

He is such a sweetie, even when he might possibly get in trouble. Gotta love him!

Anonymous said...

What a doll!

Jenny86753oh9 said...

This is the first year I haven't gotten a letter like that. I don't know how I should take that...he's either doing better or they've given up!

That Bear is so dang sweet...

Jamie Dawn said...

Everyone who's anyone knows that Social Studies folders should be sexy.

:-)

My son has kept life VERY interesting since the day he was born. Actually even before he was born!! I love him to pieces, and I'm glad he has the curious nature and rambunctious spirit that has nearly sent me to the crazy house. He's one of a kind, and he's terrific.
Bear sounds like he's similar to my boy.
Hang on, D, and enjoy the wild ride of being his mom.
:-)

Misty DawnS said...

I love that kid. OK, I love both your kids - they are both amazing.

God gave you Bear, because he knew you and Big D would be the best parents to him. And, that's that!