This might be a little hard. There are several that I could pick. I tried not to make all 10 about Big D! I definitely have more than 10 songs that bring back memories of us. Looking at my list, you can tell I am one of the original MTV generation girls. A few of my memories totally come from the videos too.
In random order, here are 10 songs that bring back memories for me.
- Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen: I really don't even know how this song came about for me. What I do know is that whenever my dad, brother, or husband hear it, they all let me know. My dad used to play it when I was young, and it would drive me crazy. I.Do.Not.Have.A.Fat.Bottom. My dad has since told me that he never once played it because of my bottom but because he loved seeing me get all riled up.
- Punk Rock Girl - Dead Milkmen: When Big D & I were dating, this song came on MTV all the time. We both really liked it so it soon became one of 'our' songs.
- Take on Me - Aha: I remember this song playing on the radio while Shonda & I were riding around with these 2 guys from church. I just remember the 4 of us, but there must have been more because I was sitting on one of the guys' laps in the front seat. Obviously this was before the seatbelt laws. I'm a good girl and always wear my seatbelt now. ;)
- Just Like Heaven - The Cure: Newly dating, Big D & I would go to his friend's house and they'd play this song on guitar. I was pretty sure it was the only song Big D knew how to play but I still thought it was pretty cool.
- Come Monday - Jimmy Buffet: When I was 5, we lived on a horse ranch (I think) in Corpus Christi, TX. I remember riding the horses & singing songs with my dad. He'd sing a line, then I would sing.
- My Hump - Black Eyed Peas: Yes, I know this is awful. Truly I do. But you haven't seen funny til you've seen Bear sing this.
- Up Where We Belong - Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes: First song I slow danced with a boy.
- Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show: Like Lamb, I was also into drama. My junior year, we lived right outside of Boston. This was my 1st experience with drama fests. While waiting for our results, someone started playing music. When Time Warp came on, most of us jumped up on stage to dance. I was one of them while my best friend, a boy who had a crush on me, hung back smiling and laughing.
- Runaway - Bon Jovi: Who is this FINE guy playing on my MTV? Ohhhh, it's Jon Bon Jovi....SCREAM!!!!! Summer of 1984. A very different & eventful summer for me.
- The Beatles - I know this isn't a song, but this cassette holds memories for me. Big D & I had only been dating for a few months when we went to Oklahoma City to introduce him to my mom & 4 yr. old brother. For the trip, he bought a Beatles Greatest Hits cassette. The night we got there, Coastie Bro, Big D, & I went riding around, showing Big D the sights. He drove a Mazda RX7 so there wasn't a backseat. I sat on the armrest thingy between the 2 guys, singing my heart out to the Beatles. Have I mentioned I can't sing? I sing just beautifully by myself or in the shower. I must get 'stage fright' around other people. Coastie Bro finally said: "Do you know every single word to every single song???? Is there NOT a song you don't want to sing???? Please?!" I just kept on singing. After our fun weekend, I was sad to be leaving. We got in the car, got down the road a little ways, when Big D put in the Beatles cassette. He told me: "You can sing if you want to." I knew right then that he was a keeper.