Fourteen years ago today at 11:35am, I became a Mama for the very first time. At the time, I thought I was the perfect age. Big D & I had been married for 4 years and felt it was time. Now I think, "Holy Cow, I was awfully young!" Luckily, God knew what He was doing. He gave me the most perfect baby who became a fun toddler who became a neat child who became a quirky teenager. He gave me a girl who:
- doesn't care how others view her. She is who she is and they can like her or not.
- is blunt. She tells it like it is & sometimes without softening her tone. She doesn't quite get the concept of tack just yet.
- definitely marches to the beat of her own drum. She does not have mainstream interests. Sure, she likes some of the music, shows, movies but they don't rule her world. Well, maybe the Jonas Brothers do. ;)
- has a quick wit. She's like her Papa. They are both Geminis.
- is very internal. Unlike her brother, she doesn't share her thoughts & feelings. Things have to be pryed from her & even then, she just tends to stare at us. She's like her Mama. We are both Year of the Dog.
- doesn't really get embarrassed or lets things phase her. Her parents singing a song in the parking lot....she'll join in. Pose in a crowded theater so I can take a picture? No problem!
- is self motivated. I have no idea about her school projects. She just does them. Really, the only thing I have to ride her about is cleaning her room & other chores.
- has a lot of the same interests as me, such as reading, movies, & musicals. And a lot of the same interests as her dad, such as rock climbing, video games, & corny things.
- isn't a girly girl yet isn't a tomboy either. She loves looking pretty & pretty things. But she also gets a thrill out of monster trucks and Pimp My Ride.
- exudes self confidence. I'm not sure how self confident she really is inside, but she looks it. She does things I'd never in a million years have the guts to do. Looking at her, you'd think, "Wow, she's confident." At her age, that can be off-putting to her peers. But, she's cool like that. Yet, she can be socially awkward at times.
- is laid back, easy going. Nothing much ruffles her feathers. She is quite capable of rolling with the punches.
- Can.Not. make a decision to save her life. From simple to hard, it's torture for her to have to make a choice.
- has never, not once, displayed any sort of outward jealously once the One-Who-Steals-The-Show came along. She loves him every bit as much as we do.
- is not interesting in growing up too fast. She cried when she realized she was growing up. Boys are still annoying & certainly not cute. Make-up will only be worn if *I* ask. Name brand clothes, etc. are not necessary. Pimples? Eh, who cares?
Happy Birthday, sweet child of ours! May your year be filled with as much joy as you always bring to us.