Tuesday

Bah Humbug!

I have been doing a pretty good job keeping up my cheer amidst these trying times. I have felt at peace. I have felt happy. I'm still working on perky but that may never be...

Today has been one of those days (well, it's been building for days). And I feel the need to vent. So here it goes:

  • We finally got our insurance check for our hurricane repairs. Not nearly enough. Not even close. Tomorrow, the roofer is coming over to discuss the repairs with Big D. We are praying that he can make what we have work. I understand the insurance company will always win. But, come on! We pay into it faithfully each & every month. I know it's a gamble, but when something happens, shouldn't one at least get enough? Bah Humbug!
  • I planned on having Breakfast for Supper this week. I open the fridge this morning and out tumbles my dozen eggs. My children put away the groceries. And one of them, I don't know which nor do I care, put the new cartoon on top of the old cartoon in the fridge door. So much for eating that unless I hit the store again. Bah Humbug!
  • Since Lamb will no doubt read this, this portion will be vague. There is something we planned to get her for Christmas. We figured there'd be no problems. We were wrong. All is not lost, but it's slim at the moment. Bah Humbug!
  • Today we had some free time in the 5th grade class I'm in. I'm casually coloring a Santa picture with a girl when she throws down her pencil and announces to me that she feels guilty. She did a bad thing. She ate a dinner AND a dessert from Olive Garden when she's supposed to be on a diet. Upon further conversation with her, fear struck my heart. I'm so afraid she'll develop an eating disorder in the future. And I just want to pinch her dad because I feel he'll be the root of it all. Bah Humbug!
  • Then, I was in the 4th grade class and bickering erupts at one of the tables. I take two of the kids in the hallway (substitute day) to get to the bottom of it. One of the boys breaks down in tears because he feels unwanted & unliked by his classmates. Like with the previous girl, I'm talking to him and I can just see that it's not gelling. Bah Humbug!
  • And here's the icing. Why do people feel the need to tell a pregnant women something she has no control over can be risky to the baby? One of my dearest friends is pregnant with her first baby. She's not due until January but her body has started preparing itself. She found out yesterday that she tested positive for StrepB. Her dr. didn't seem concerned so she wasn't concerned. She's on antibiotics. No biggie. Until this morning. Someone has to inform her that a friend of hers had a healthy pregnancy but she never knew that she had strep B so she was never treated. Her baby is special needs. Why, oh why did she tell my friend this? It didn't help. My friend can't do anything about it other than pray. Now, in between the prayers, will be worry. Bah Humbug!
Whew. Thanks for reading. I feel somewhat better now. I still want to pinch some folks but the urge isn't as strong.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

Was the pregnant friend our mutual pregnant friend? That makes me want to hurt someone to know that they would say something like that!

I'll be praying that you'll get peace over the situations you mentioned. Much love!

littletoesandcheerios said...

I bought a an 18 carton of eggs last night and when I went to put them in the fridge all of them were cracked plus a broken jar of baby food! My husband said "Oops".
I hate it when people say scary, stressful things to pregnant women! Tell your friend to ignore all comments! I had the best delivery ever and I was so scared because people told me such horror stories.
Hope things go well with your home...I'll be praying for you.

Forgetfulone said...

I had strepB - and the doctor knew it, and the babies got antibiotics during delivery - and all was well. Tell her not to worry. Her doctor knows what to do, and it's not a big deal. Why do people have to scare a pregnant woman half to death!

I'm curious what you're not finding for Lamb. Makes me wonder if I'm gonna be having the same problem. Let me know.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Jamie Dawn said...

Bah Humbug!!!!
Please don't pinch me.
I am not a fan of being pinched.
It hurts, even if you pinch a fat part like my bohunkus or thigh.
That poor fifth grader girl who was feeling guilty over eating dessert after her meal at Olive Garden.
And that poor fourth grade boy who was feeling so badly.
And how idiotic it was for that person to frighten that pregnant lady. Totally unnecessary to even comment on it since her doctor is treating it. Why put worries in her mind? Stupido!
Bah Humbug!
I feel better now too, as well.

marky said...

(((((D))))) big hugs..I had a bad day yesterday too..
I hope today brings you smiles and sunshine!

Patois42 said...

Here's hoping the bahs vacate the premises quickly. I'm so sad for those two kids and your pregnant friend. I can see the anguish it would put on you.

Stacey said...

It's amazing how people talk without thinking--of course I'm queen of that, but still!

I'm sorry about your week, truly I empathize. Look over at JameeForever and you'll see just how amazing my Christmas will be this year...bah humbug! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I had strep B too and everything turned out fine. In fact, I know several people who had it when pregnant and all their babies are perfect! Tell her not to worry. Sorry you had a bad day. Hugs!

Lisa

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I'm in a Bah Humbug frame of mind, myself these days. Not sure if it's the weather, the economy, or what, but I'm just....in a funk. Hugs to you and to your kiddos at at school and your pregnant friend. All will be OK. We just have to keep telling ourselves that.

I'm looking forward to our Girls' Night Out Friday! No Bah Humbugs allowed!

Anonymous said...

C'mon now....just a pinch? I'm betting in the right situation you might do a bit more on some of those instances. Am I right? Yep, I'll hold 'em and you do the damage. Then we'll all feel better!

Have fun on Friday, ladies!

Debbie said...

I am so behind in my reading. First, I am so sorry about the insurance. Hubby and I were just discussing how insurance companies in general are really Satan in disguise about 10 minutes ago. We are in a battle with one over my mom. I hope it works out with Lamb's gift. Tell me what to get and I'll Fed Ex it to you. (Seriously). I am so happy about the boy and the stuffed dog. God will reward you for being so kind. And I can't explain to you why people do such stupid things like the incident with your pregnant friend. When my son was so sick from the spider bite, one of my "friends" asked me if he would die.
I am serious about the gift. Let me know.