Monday

If I'm in Footloose, Where's Ren?

Today in class, Bear's teacher gave them song lyrics from the 80s to teach them about the meanings of text in songs. They aren't always what they seem.

So, he was telling us about "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. People thought it was a love song and would play it in their weddings. Bear then says, "Ziggy wondered how people could be playing them at their weddings when it's a sicko song." Um, Ziggy? I had to ask who on earth is Ziggy?! "You know, the lead singer." I had to set Bear straight. It's STING! Sting is the lead singer of The Police. Ziggy? Good Grief.

We get that straight and Bear goes on telling us that it's a stalker song. Lamb then pipes in: "What? The cop is stalking a girl?"

Oh my heavens. Have I failed my children? I had to get it straight in her head that The Police is a music group. Not an actual cop.

Sigh.

11 comments:

Debbie said...

That is a riot. What are they teaching our kids in school these days?

littletoesandcheerios said...

I'm trying not to laugh too loud because the baby is asleep next to me but this is so funny!!! The cop a stalker!! LOVE this post! I'm such an 80's girl!

Forgetfulone said...

This post cracked me up!

Melissa said...

Awesome assignment. Hilarious story! Bear's teacher is a genius! I wish I were still around her to get ideas :)

Anonymous said...

Ziggy? ARGH! At least it wasn't Prince, eh?

Anonymous said...

HA! That's great.

Oldman was singing Teenager in Love (because of some Wii game) and asked, "Why don't they play that anymore?" Uhm...cause it was famous when your grandparents were teenagers!!!

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I think Ziggy the Cop is stalking ME. How do I report that?

Unknown said...

I'm Sorry! All I heard was Sting, Cop and Stalker Song so I thought Sting the cop was the stalker! Forgive me for not paying attention.

coastie bro said...

funny they were talking about that on the radio the other day

Patois42 said...

I see "Ziggy" and all I picture is some comic-strip bald guy.

jenny said...

I don't want to brag, but my 13-yr-old has that song in his itunes already . . . and knows that backstory, too! ;-)