Saturday

Yes, Virginia, There Is a Santa Claus

I spent most of yesterday pretty happy.

Since the first day of school, no matter what time I arrive to work (& I get there pretty early, especially when I take Lamb to school), there's a boy waiting for the doors to open. The students aren't allowed into the building until 7:45. I did not know this boy so I would say "Good morning" and go about my business.

In November, I was given the opportunity to tutor for extra money. As it turns out, this boy is in my tutor group. He's your typical boy, extremely silly. I started to notice that to hide his insecurities, he turns his wrong answers into big jokes.

The weather has started to turn quite cold in the mornings. The thought of the boy sitting out for 30 minutes, at the least, bothered me. I asked his teacher if I can bring him in with me & we'll go over Math facts or whatever he's working on in class. So that's what I do on my mornings now. And just so you don't think I'm "cheating" the district, I don't clock in until my normal time.

We've been doing this for a little over a week now. He's getting comfortable with me so there is a lot of silliness going on. Bear finds him quite humorous. Sigh! But, given the choice, the boy always wants to work on his facts.

Yesterday, I took the day off. However, I don't have enough time to go back home after dropping off Lamb at her school. Bear & I went to our school as usual. There was the boy with a Christmas box in his hand. I casually asked if that was a present for his teacher & he just smiled at me.

When we walked into my room, he handed the gift to ME! I was so stunned and pleased. Inside the box was a snowman figurine (I love snowmen), 2 bars of scented homemade soap in the shape of shells, and a miniature perfume (Unforgivable Woman by Sean John, in case you are wondering).

I am always surprised when a student buys me a Christmas present. I don't know why, it just does. I never expect it. And it really doesn't matter what the gift is, the thought of them thinking of me touches me.

Generous children give me hope that the future won't be so bad. Kindness and thoughtfulness are still alive and well.

13 comments:

littletoesandcheerios said...

Aw, I love this! I'm so glad when children do things on their own like this. I bet when he smiled at you that smile is priceless.

Forgetfulone said...

That is so sweet! You're making such a difference in his life.

I have an award for you on my blog.

Debbie said...

Now that is a great Christmas story! That boy is precious and so are you for caring so much about him. I'm with forgetfulone - you are making a huge difference to him.

Natalia said...

It looks like he knows how special you are!

kris said...

how sweet, you have made an impression on him! that's a great holiday story!
kris

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

His kindness and thoughtfulness are a reflection of YOURS, sweetie - what goes around comes around. You have, indeed, made a wonderful impression on this boy. You are awesome.

However, do you think that giving you soap and perfume is saying something? Do you stink? ;-)

jennyonthespot said...

Oh D... You are such a precious woman. You have invested care and love into this boy's life... of course he's gonna bring you something! But cha know what's more? When he's all grown - you are going to be an adult he never forgets... You know the kind - the ones we look back on, can point to and see how their influence changed us. It's true.

Unknown said...

Yep...you're the one that he'll tell his kids about when he's a dad. That's very cool, D!

Mrs. G. said...

That is a gift that represents the true spirit of Christmas: love.

Patois42 said...

What a sweetheart. So young and yet gets it. And you, my fine lady, are magnificent.

Stacey said...

Amen---and you know, kids bring presents to the teachers who mean the most, so I am certain you have touched this boy. xo

Anonymous said...

I can promise you, 15 years from now, that boy will remember the time you took to help him. You are making such an amazing investment in the future!

Tales From the Eurovan said...

Thanks for sharing this! You may never know what an impact you are having on this child just by taking a little time to show him some attention. You are great and you are definately making a difference!

Take care,
Julie