Thursday

It's a Wonderful Life & an Update of Sorts

This morning, Big D & were given quite a blow. And, to be honest, I didn't see it coming. I'm not sure if Big D did or not.

As I'm sitting there reminding myself that it could be Much.Worse, God will see us through it, and truly God put us where we are right now so that it wouldn't be Much.Worse, I was still feeling awfully sorry for myself. Seems my life is spent going one step forward, two steps back. For awhile now, it seems like three steps back. (Big D will tell you that it's my fault. Once upon a time, I made a wish that we would struggle so as to better appreciate life & each other. He thinks I've cursed us forever.)

Then I went to a program to listen to an intermediate school's band, orchestra, & choir perform Christmas songs. Something about children making music always lifts me up. And then I was reminded of the immortal words spoken by Harry Bailey, George Bailey's brother. "A toast to my big brother George: The richest man in town."

Yeah, it sucks. Yeah, it's going to be hard. But! We have each other. We have our kids. We have a plan. For now (& please God, don't let that change), we have jobs. And, we definitely have God on our side, watching our backs.

Life can't get much more wonderful than that.

Update:
The roofer says we don't have near enough money. He is going to contact the insurance company to see what he can do. God be with him. We are praying our roof continues to hold up.

The boy has a dog named Cocoa that he will be given for Christmas. We found an adorable stuffed one and made a certificate to attach to him. He will NOT know who it's from. He also has a bunch of other presents to open. I have a little more information and I doubt he'll see his mom. I know that is his heart's desire. However, he does have a dad and I hope the dad is sensitive enough to understand his son's need. Nothing will help, but he deserves a little extra love.

Big D searched all of Houston and found another place where we can get Lamb's Christmas present. Saturday is the big day!

9 comments:

Debbie said...

OK. If I had just read this first. I'm glad the gift will work out. And I hope the roof things work out too. I wish I could pop over with some wine and cheesecake!

Becky said...

I so desperately hope y'all are ok. Truly.

And I am SO GLAD about Lamb's present! Can't wait to hear what it is!

Love out to you... school's out tomorrow.. that's a good thing!

littletoesandcheerios said...

I'm so sorry you all are going through a rough time right now. I sure hope all will be better soon.

I think the boy will love his gift...snd I wish his Mother realized what a great gift her child is...but some don't. Sat. I will have the party for the little girl in my life that gets tossed from house to house at 3 years old.
And she is so sweet and gentle.

Best of luck to you and your family. Hope ya find that present.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

Sweetie, you will have to fill me in tomorrow on what's going on. I'm sorry I've been out of touch - I've been feeling yukky, myself. I love how you are always able to see the silver lining in things. I've really been having trouble with that lately. Makes me feel all Bah Humbug-ey. And I don't even care.

But I care about YOU. I'll see you tomorrow...

Forgetfulone said...

I'm behind in my blog-reading, but I'm glad I stopped by to give you some encouragement. I'm sorry about the stupid roof and insurance. Seems a lot of people in our area are going through that, which doesn't make it better, but... thankfully, the jobs, the family... the stuff that makes everything okay. Good luck finding Lamb's unique present. I'm thinking about you guys!

Stacey said...

D, I will pray the insurance will come through on the roof--I know, we've been there and had to put a new one up last year. Please update us when you can--you're such a positive person, stay that way, it inspires me. xoxoxo

PS--Cocoa rocks, that boy will be thrilled!

D... said...

Thank you everyone! Your support & encouragement mean the world to me! I love ya'll's friendship! We will be ok. Worry is not necessary but prayers are always welcome. :)

Check in later for a pic of Lamb's present. Well, if all goes well anyway. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

Patois42 said...

I'm really sorry for the big blow. You will pull through. You have each other. You have God. You have the goodness that has you helping others. Now, only good for the rest of the year. And beyond!

Maggie said...

I'm just catching up... so sorry to hear about your roof! I hope all goes well, and that it holds up until then. You are so right - God IS on your side!!! =) Hang in there!!