Tuesday

Stars at Night Are Big & Bright

The Hs Begin a New LifeWe moved here ten years ago June 1st. Ten years ago, really? It's so hard to believe. Not too much has changed except the kids are bigger, Big D's hair is grayer, and I'm thinner (baby weight, no matter that the baby is almost 7mths old!).

It was the scariest thing I had ever done, the decision to move. We moved away from a lot of family, friends, hairdressers, dentists, doctors, grocery stores, jobs to the land of the unknown. Yep, that's right. We made the decision to move here without ever having visited.

As long as I had known Big D, he was always adament about wanting to leave Memphis. When Lamb was 4, I told him it was Do or Die. Once she started school, I was not moving her. We told my mom and she said if we'd move to Houston, she knew she could get a transfer. She was not going to live away from her grandbabies. Houston was not a place I thought of, but sure? Why not?

Big D put in for a transfer as did my mom. She got hers first so in February, she & my brother moved here. In April, Big D still hadn't heard about his transfer. Mom asked that the kids & I go ahead & move here. So that's what we did.

Big D drove the 10hrs every other weekend to see us. Then Lamb asked him why he didn't love us anymore since he was never around. That did it. He told us that we were moving back up with him. This was May. And that's when his transfer finally went through. The day after Lamb's 4th birthday, we said goodbye to our family and our town.

Regrets? No, not really. There are times when I wonder what could have been, especially with my family. But there is no denying that Big D is happier. The kids are getting so many wonderful opportunities. And while we no longer have our large family circle, we do have some wonderful friends that help ease the pain of missing them.

I still haven't found a replacement for my Pancho's Cheese Dip & Purple Cows. Luckily, I have found some pretty close 2nds for my dad's chicken wings & pork bbq.

Even though, next year, I will have lived in Houston longer than anywhere else, including Pine Bluff & Memphis, it still doesn't feel like "home" to me. I wonder why that is?

12 comments:

Big D said...

In case anyone is wondering, I am not that tall or D is not that short depending on how you look at it. We are standing on the jetties which are huge rocks piled out into the ocean.

Anonymous said...

Well, I for one, am VERY glad y'all moved here! I know that must have been scary to make the move all those years ago, but boy am I glad you did!

Lisa

D... said...

Huh, Big D, I never noticed that we looked exceptionally odd, height-wise, til you brought it up.

Lisa! Thank you! I am definitely glad I met you too. :)

coastie bro said...

it does not feel like home becuase you are a TRAITOR!!!!!!!

Jamie Dawn said...

How sweet that your hubby just couldn't stand it when your daughter asked him why he didn't love you guys any more, etc. I'm married to a guy with a soft heart too.
Our kids can melt his heart much easier than I can.

I guess it doesn't feel like home because you are a transplant. I'm a transplant too, but I'm warming up to living in AR. It is beautiful and I enjoy being here.
I'm glad your family is happy in Houston.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

I can't imagine life without you. To me you are right where you belong!

Becky said...

I am glad you are in H-town, too! I love reading about your adventures, knowing that somewhere across 25 or so miles, there you are, even though I don't know you. :) And Happy Bday to Lamb!! And a new layout? Love it! I am remiss in visiting for the past few weeks! Sorry about that!

Stacey said...

Chicka pie I didn't know you were from Memphis...no wonder you said something about fam when I would be there!!! YOU could be a source of some great info...what is this poncho dip? Do I need it? Talk to meeeee.

Is Big D really this tall? Or are you only 3.5' or something? xoxo

Stacey said...

CRUD I just read Big D's comment, scratch that last part.

Jenny86753oh9 said...

I feel ya...I've lived in Spfld longer than anywhere (got married and had one of the kids here), but my heart will always be in India. I'm just a transient taking space for many years!

Kim said...

I know what you mean about it not feeling like home. Even though we really love it here in DFW, TX, it's just not home. I think that being a transplant is the right answer.

But all in all it sounds like you all made the right decision. The pluses outweigh the negatives.

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.